The Fellowship of the Silver Serpent
Friday, Saturday, & Sunday
April 29-May 1, 2016
Unseen’s House in Columbia, MD
Many moons ago you were brought together with friends at The Festival of the Silver Serpent to rekindle the teaching of the Virtues. You learned much, saw artifacts of the land, dueled, ate, drank, and laughed endlessly. In the end you and your fellow Avatars brought forth the path of enlightenment.
Gathered by the chimes of the Bell of Courage, guided by the words of the Book of Truth, and following the illuminations of the Candle of Love, you walked the path of enlightenment.
Yet with all you did to restore the power of the Virtues, rumblings are being felt in the ether in which the Virtues live. A strange new corruption is rising, one that seeks to warp the minds of the people of Britannia. This group is not the single villains you have fought many times in the past, but rather a corrupt way of thinking. I know your travels are many and you have barely had time to rest, but I have need of you to prepare to face these false prophets, this corrupt way of thinking…
To combat this growing threat you must gather your companions and sharpen your skills. By banding together this close-knit group of Avatars, I know you can uncover the mystery of this new group. You and your fellow Avatars will gather in fellowship, hone your mental skills, practice your martial combat, and learn the trades you will need to survive: baking, smithing, fletching, and more. Journey Onward…
The Fellowship of the Silver Serpent is a multi-day gathering of long-time companions brought together in fellowship. This event brings friends and fans of the Ultima, and related series, together to adventure, eat, drink, and be merry. The theme for the event is inspired by the period preceding the quest of the Black Gate, with a narrative weaved into the weekend of food, drink, fighting, and fun. Guests can arrive as early as Friday evening for pre-event activates, while the main event will take place Saturday and Sunday. The venue for this event is the Inn of the Silver Serpent in the woods near Yew. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner will be provided as part of the narrative on Saturday, as will breakfast the following day. Sunday the event will conclude with some wrap-up activities and general merriment.
More specific details will be released as the event approaches…
What is The Fellowship of the Silver Serpent
- A fun gathering of Ultima fans who have gotten together over the years at a number of events in person and online
- A gathering where you can share some good food, enjoy fine drink, and reconnect with those we have become close with over the years
- A chance to again walk the world of Britannia with an Ultima-themed narrative underpinning the weekend’s events
- A chance to explore more of the world (when it’s not 100 degrees), including using over 3 times the ground-space as the last event. Lakes…yes, rivers….yes, forests….yes, buried treasure…how could we not?
- An opportunity to learn some new skills. Have you ever wanted to try your hand at smithing or making your own arrow (and shoot it)?
- Boffer-brackets and Archery contests!
- Some unexpected surprises!
What it is not
- It is not a full live-action roleplaying (LARP) experience. While there are story-driven elements to it, it is not a two day LARP.
- It is not a repeat of other Ultima fan events or even exactly like the Festival of the Silver Serpent (where the focus was on a Feast). It will have its own style and feel.
- This is an event to promote fun and Virtue. It is not a place to bring outside issues, air grievances, or raise problems. I try to keep a very positive and happy mojo in my house, and expect this event to only enhance that.
Want to attend? RSVP Now
I have tried to layout the rules and answer questions in the FAQ below to make sure you know what the event is (and is not). If something is not answered here and you have a question or need clarification, please ask.
- This is not an open event in the sense that you can just show up unannounced. Those wishing to attend must RSVP to the host to lock in a spot (which are limited). Due to logistical constraints, attendance has to be limited. The exact number is TBD. This event is generally open to everyone in the Ultima/UDIC/SotA community. If you’ve been to another event, you’re invited to RSVP. If you been on a hangout, such as a Dragonsmeet, you’re invited to RSVP, If you are a big fan of Ultima/SotA, you’re invited to RSVP.
- Advance Registration closes February 29, 2016. Advance registration is being used for materials planning and RSVPing before this date guarantees you a spot in every craft you are interested in and access to all appropriate trinkets and rewards. After advance registration closes, you are still encouraged to RSVP (and need to in order to attend), but I cannot guarantee materials for crafting and trinkets.
- When you RSVP, make sure you include all the requested information, including: name (duh), name for the event (Dragon name, etc…), your planned arrived date/time, departure date/time, your lodging plans, and any dietary/allergy restrictions. If you do not get a response within 48 hours, please contact the host at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have a confirmed RSVP, and you know you are unlikely to make it, please contact the host immediately. I am not requiring a fee to attend, so please don’t abuse this. I am ordering food and materials based on the number of attendees, so be kind.
- Due to alcohol being on premises and generally silliness, all attendees must be 21+.
- Garb is expected. If for some reason you cannot get garb, drop me a message and we’ll work something out. For those not wanting to make their own, here is a link to a great list of sites Rustic Dragon put together.
- Please be considerate to the venue and treat it as if it were yours. My family is making the home available (and getting out of town), so please don’t make them come back to a disaster. Don’t steal, don’t break stuff, don’t burn things, and don’t annoy the neighbors. The Festival of the Silver Serpent was largely void of any issues and I expect this to continue. If you see something amiss or broken, please let The Proprietor (Unseen) know right away.
- While there is a story behind some of the activities, this is done in the name of fun. For some of the activities, you are welcome to sit out, but please don’t detract from those who are participating.
- My house is strictly non-smoking. For those who want to smoke, there will be a designated outdoor smoking area.
- And finally, to quote a famous Dragon – Act with Virtue and HAVE FUN
If you have read the rules, and want to attend, RSVPs Now.
- Lodging: April/May is great for inside or outside accommodations (historical averages are a high of 50s and low 60s). For those interested in outside camping, there is a lot of room between the two properties and we are planning on two portable bonfires. For those wishing to sleep inside, my home is large enough to accommodate everyone, however, I am limited on beds/couches/etc… I estimate there is bedding and couches for 7-8 with plenty of room for sleeping bags and air mattresses. If you can bring a tent/sleeping bag/air mattress/blankets, please do. If you are flying, and need bedding/couch space, ask and I will do the best to accommodate. If you have extra room in your tent or extra mattresses, etc…, please be virtuous and make them available).
- Early arrival/late departure: The event starts Friday evening with some optional activities. The main event begins Saturday morning and ends Sunday afternoon. If you need accommodations before/after the event, please ask and I can help you find local hotel options around. For those interested in a longer stay, the Washington,DC/Baltimore/Annapolis area hosts a number of sites and museums not to be missed. Those arriving early may want to arrange with others to head into one of the cities.
- Diet Restrictions: I am currently planning on a combination of home cooked food and catering for the meals. If you have specific allergies or diet restrictions, please let me know. No promises can be made, but I will work to make reasonable accommodations.
- How do I get there: Unseen’s house in Columbia, MD which is located between Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD. Those flying are encouraged to use Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) which is about 20 minutes from the venue and generally has the best prices. Dulles International Airport (IAD) and Washington National Airport (DCA) are within an hour by car and might have better options for you. As of now, I do not have a readily available shuttle service to my house.
- Can I bring a guest who is not involved in Ultima/SotA/etc…: Let’s talk, but probably.
- Is this going to be like event X: Probably not
- I have another question: Then ask 🙂
Food & Drink
Throughout the event: Snacks, beer, wine, soda, and a few surprises….
Friday Late Dinner:
What to bring
- Your invitation with its content (it might be needed)
- Garb, Armor, Boffer weapons, and any other LARP gear you wish.
- Boffer weapons from previous events (e.g. HoBlotH II)
- Tankards or something to drink with. I will try and have some extras, but no promises.
- Sleeping gear – Tents, Sleeping bags, air mattress
- A good attitude
(Tentative, Subject to Change)
|7:00 PM||Fire making demo and prep (hands-on)||Led by Fergus Ironhand|
|8:00 PM – 10:00 PM||Baking bread prep (hands-on)||Led by Edward Vitralis|
|11:00 PM||Public showing of The Gallstone – with director commentary||Commentary by Sir Dom John, Sir Dan Span|
|9:00 AM||Arrive at the Inn of the Silver Serpent! Breakfast will be waiting|
|9:30 AM||Event welcome and introductions|
|10:00-11:00 AM||Fletching demo and training (hands-on)||Led by Fergus Ironhand|
|11:00 AM||Hunting Party||Led by Fergus Ironhand|
|All Afternoon||Blacksmithing demo training (hands-on)||Led by Fergus Ironhand|
|1:30 PM-4:00 PM||Melee and Ranged Combat Events (details to be released)|
|4:00 PM||Skype with Lord British|
|After Dinner||Prepare the campsites|
|8:00 PM||Visit with the Royal Mint with the Master of the Mint||Sir Frank|
|11:30 PM||Final Quest (of the night)|
|Into the wee hours||Late-night fun (Food, Drink, Fun, and Merriment)|
|10:30 AM||Avatar Brunch Bunch|
|11:00 AM – 1:00 PM||Blacksmithing Demos Start|
|2:00 PM||Celebrate the event and toast|
|3:00 PM||Event officially ends, open fun and cleaning|
|6:00 PM||Event-site closed|
( denotes an attendee presenting or performing)
Historical information on the Festival of the Silver Serpent can be found here.