The Third Festival of the Silver Serpent
Friday, Saturday, & Sunday
May 5 – 7, 2017
Unseen’s House in Columbia, MD
From the Ether you hear the call…Avatar…A voice faint, but sharp, as if from a distant dream yet whispered in your ear… Twice you have heard this call, bringing you and your fellow Avatars together at the Festivals of the Silver Serpent. Guided by the hand of the Unseen Order, you have restored the virtues and principles to their proper place, you have uncovered clues to unseat the Fellowship, and you have thwarted the Guardian’s first attempt to enter Britannia…
…Avatar…while you have been trapped in Pagan, the Guardian has invaded Britannia and has set in motion the devastation of the land. The forces of Britannia have been overwhelmed, and without your aid at this crucial moment, all may be lost. For this reason we must intervene and bring you out of your own timeline to this “lost time”. You must stop the Guardian and create a future which you can return to. When the time is right, you will receive communication instructing you how to travel through time and space and journey to the Inn of the Unseen Order. On arrival, your quest will be made clear.
– Hierophant of Balance
It is time to gather with your companions and prepare for the next adventure. You will hear the clang of the blacksmith’s hammer, the twang of the flying arrow, and feel the excitement of discovery. You will need to muster all of your talents and skills, for this time the enemies are more devious than ever. Sharpen your steel, steady your bow, gather your wits, and step through the Moongate to…
The Third Festival of the Silver Serpent
The Third Festival of the Silver Serpent is a multi-day gathering of long-time companions brought together in fellowship. This is primarily an festival to bring friends and fans of the Ultima and related series together to eat, drink, and be merry. Guests will arrive Friday afternoon to enter the lands. All meals Saturday and Sunday breakfast are provided. Sunday the festival will conclude with some wrap-up activities and general merriment.
This years Festival theme is all about what could have been. The Ultima history is littered with stories that never happened, plots that never finished, and histories created after the fact. These stories are part of the organic evolution of storytelling and our community is at the heart of making those stories what they are today and what will be told in the future.
What is The Fellowship of the Silver Serpent
- A fun gathering of Ultima and Shroud of the Avatar fans who have gotten together over these many years at a number of events in person and online
- A gathering where you can share some good food, enjoy fine drink, and reconnect with those we have become close with over the years
- A chance to again walk the world of Britannia with an Ultima-themed narrative underpinning the weekend’s events
- An opportunity to learn some new skills and hone those you started near a year ago (level four may be coming).
- Boffering and archery
- And as always, some unexpected surprises…
Want to attend? RSVP Now
I have tried to layout the rules and answer questions in the FAQ below to make sure you know what the event is (and is not). If something is not answered here and you have a question or need clarification, please ask.
- This is not an open event in the sense that you can just show up unannounced. Those wishing to attend must RSVP to the host to lock in a spot (which are limited). Due to logistical constraints, attendance has to be limited. The exact number is TBD. This event is generally open to everyone in the Ultima/UDIC/SotA community. If you’ve been to another event, you’re invited to RSVP. If you been on a hangout, such as a Dragonsmeet, you’re invited to RSVP, If you are a big fan of Ultima/SotA, you’re invited to RSVP.
- Advance Registration HAS CLOSED. Advance registration is used for materials planning and RSVPing before this date guarantees you a spot in every craft you are interested in, access to all appropriate trinkets and rewards, and more.
- Final Registration HAS CLOSED. Food and story is finalized one month before the event to allow for final preparation. You must be RSVPed before this time.
- When you RSVP, make sure you include all the requested information. If you do not get a response within 48 hours, please contact the host at email@example.com.
- If you have a confirmed RSVP, and you know you are unlikely to make it, please contact the host immediately. I am not requiring a fee to attend, so please don’t abuse this. I am ordering food and materials based on the number of attendees, so be kind.
- Due to alcohol being on premises and generally silliness, all attendees must be 21+.
- Garb is expected. If for some reason you cannot get garb, drop me a message and we’ll work something out. For those not wanting to make their own, The Caverns is the prefered provider of garb. In addition Rustic Dragon has put together a great list of other vendors.
- Please be considerate to the venue and treat it as if it were yours. My family is making the home available (and getting out of town), so please don’t make them come back to a disaster. Don’t steal, don’t break stuff, don’t burn things, and don’t annoy the neighbors. Past events have been largely void of any issues and I expect this to continue. If you see something amiss or broken, please let The Proprietor (Unseen) know right away.
- While there is a story behind some of the activities, this is done in the name of fun. For some of the activities, you are welcome to sit out, but please don’t detract from those who are participating.
- My house is strictly non-smoking. For those who want to smoke, there will be a designated outdoor smoking area.
- And finally, to quote a famous Dragon – Act with Virtue and HAVE FUN
If you have read the rules, and want to attend, RSVPs Now.
- Lodging: May is great for inside or outside accommodations (historical averages are a high of 50s and low 60s). For those interested in outside camping, there is a lot of room between the two properties and we are planning on two portable bonfires. For those wishing to sleep inside, my home is large enough to accommodate everyone, however, I am limited on beds/couches/etc… I estimate there is bedding and couches for 5-6 with plenty of room for sleeping bags and air mattresses (we’ve done 15+ in the past). If you can bring a tent/sleeping bag/air mattress/blankets, please do. If you are flying, and need bedding/couch space, ask and I will do the best to accommodate. If you have extra room in your tent or extra mattresses, etc…, please be virtuous and make them available).
- Early arrival/late departure: The event starts Friday evening with some optional activities. The main event begins Friday night and ends Sunday afternoon. If you need accommodations before/after the event, please ask and I can help you find local hotel options around. For those interested in a longer stay, the Washington,DC/Baltimore/Annapolis area hosts a number of sites and museums not to be missed. Those arriving early may want to arrange with others to head into one of the cities.
- Diet Restrictions: I am currently planning on a combination of home cooked food and catering for the meals. If you have specific allergies or diet restrictions, please let me know. No promises can be made, but I will work to make reasonable accommodations.
- How do I get there: Unseen’s house in Columbia, MD which is located between Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD. Those flying are encouraged to use Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) which is about 20 minutes from the venue and generally has the best prices. Dulles International Airport (IAD) and Washington National Airport (DCA) are within an hour by car and might have better options for you. As of now, I do not have a readily available shuttle service to my house.
- Can I bring a guest who is not involved in Ultima/SotA/etc…: Let’s talk, but probably.
- Is this going to be like event X: Probably not, each Festival is different
- I have another question: Then ask
Food & Drink
Throughout the event: Snacks, beer, wine, soda, and a few surprises….
Friday Late Dinner: TBD
Saturday Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, fruit, pastries, breads, and spread
Saturday Picnic Lunch: Sandwiches, cheeses, chips, lemonade, ice tea
Saturday Dinner: Vegetarian Lasagne (V), Salad (V), Ribs, brisket, mac & cheese (V), green beans (V), pies, and more!
Sunday Brunch: Eggs, bacon, pastries, breads, and spread
What to bring
- Your invitation with its content (it might be needed)
- Your Badge (if you have one)
- Garb, Armor, and any other LARP gear you wish.
- Boffer weapons from previous events
- Bows, crossbows, arrows, bolts
- Tankards or something to drink with. I will try and have some extras, but no promises.
- Sleeping gear – Tents, Sleeping bags, air mattress
- A good attitude
|2PM||Event site opens, welcome to the third Festival of the Silver Serpent!||The Unseen Order|
|3PM-6PM||Smithy open||Fergus Ironhand|
|7PM-9PM||Medieval Bestiary Illustration & Egg Tempera Painting||Dame Lori|
|10PM-11PM||Beer, meat, and cheese tasting||Hobbit Dragon & Edward Vitralis|
|Late Night||Gaming and rabbling|
|TBD||Smithy open||Fergus Ironhand|
|9AM-10AM||Breakfast||The Unseen Order|
|10AM-11AM||Conversation with Lord British (Skype)|
|Noon-1PM||Lunch||The Unseen Order|
|1PM-2PM||Martial Combat Instruction||Lord Jouten & Goldenflame Dragon|
|2PM-3PM||The Grand Tournament||The Unseen Order|
|4PM-7PM||TBA||The Unseen Order|
|7PM-8PM||Dinner Feast||The Unseen Order|
|9PM-10PM||Peer into the Future||Sir Dom John & Sir Dan Span|
|10:30PM-11:30PM||Libations Sampling from the Order’s Private Reserve||The Unseen Order|
|10AM-11AM||Treasures from the Origin Museum||Tastrik Dragon|
|11AM-2PM||Smithy open||Fergus Ironhand|
|11AM-Noon||Brunch||The Unseen Order|
|2PM-3PM||Closing Ceremonies||The Unseen Order|
|3PM||Event officially ends, open fun and cleaning|
( denotes an attendee presenting or performing)